Last week was spent in Zanzibar with my travel buddy Nyaguthii. As with most of our trips, it was amazing. We had a blast, I will not belabor the point.
We went via shuttle to Arusha then flew to Dar then took the ferry to Zanzibar. Skinny sent me a message saying that on our return journey, we should get off the shuttle at Syokimau and take the train to Nairobi since it seemed that we wanted to experience all modes of transport while on the trip.
1. Discovered the best place to stay while in on a budget in Stonetown. The Seyyida Hotel is all that and more. The only place to stay while in Stonetown – good bye to all the other places that I thought were great. It is affordable, great rooms, great location and great breakfast.
2. Discussed and agreed that great service trumps great rooms and ambience. I should have mentioned that in just 10 days we stayed at 5 hotels and there is one place with amazing rooms, amazing beach, great swimming pool but horrible service that we will never go back to and another place with horrible rooms, AMAZING food and SUPERIOR service that we could go back to.
3. It is more common for topless sunbathing to happen in Zanzibar than it is on any Kenyan beach.
4. I have been to Zanzibar about 5 times now. I always have my way with the itinerary and hotels. This time I decided to trust my tour guide (who I have worked with from the first time) and he blew us away. If you are going to Zanzibar and you are looking for an affordable, fun and flexible guide (who provides transport and has connections to the nicest hotels!) get in touch with Mwajogo Amasha Adam.
5. I thought I loved water. Clearly I don’t. Nyaguthii does. She swum in the deep sea and had to be asked to get back on the boat by the “Coast Guard”. And I don’t know why this time I panicked? I even wore a life jacket on one snorkeling trip and went into the water for less than 10 minutes on the other snorkeling trip (hoping Hipilicious doesn’t see this – I won’t hear the end of this).